In April 2015, Raleigh Rugby added youth rugby to our family. It’s a safe, fun, easy way for kids to learn and fall in love with the newest Olympic sport. While playing at our gorgeous, Bermuda grass facilities, your kids are encouraged to have fun while being groomed into being the best rugby players they can be. Give your kids the opportunity to move up through the teams in our organization, and be a part of the fastest growing sport in the US.
The Rattlesnakes’ Rookies Rugby team introduces safe tackling and includes boys and girls ages 10 and under. Our rookie tackle team plays against other local Triangle area teams. Minimal equipment is required and fun is expected.
**Player must be 10 years old or younger on September 1st, 2020 in order to be eligible for Rookies rugby.**
2020 TRAINING SESSIONS (NON-CONTACT):
- We are holding non-contact training sessions on Wednesday nights from 6:30-8pm for now.
- All returning and new players must register through our website in order to attend a training session, complete the COVID Waiver.
- Location – Poole Road Rugby Complex
- Cleats are required for training sessions. We suggest players bring plenty of water.
REGULAR SEASON INFORMATION:
- Youth tackle rugby usually runs from January-May. However, the official season start date is TBD at this time. We are following USA Rugby & North Carolina Youth Rugby Union Return to Play Guidelines. We are holding non-contact training sessions at the time. See “2020 Training Sessions” for more info.
- During the regular season, mandatory practices are every Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30-8:00pm. Players are expected to start warming up promptly at 6:30pm.
- Practice Location – Poole Road Rugby Complex
- Mouthguard & cleats are required for practices. We suggest players bring plenty of water.
PLAYER REGISTRATION & DUES:
- All returning and new players must register through our website prior to practicing.
- During the time we are holding training sessions only, we will not be charging any dues.
- During the regular season, annual dues are $150 and cover your player through July 31st, 2021, as well as include USA Rugby registration and liability. Dues may be paid through our website. If you have trouble paying, please reach out to our youth director to make arrangements. Full and partial scholarships are available to those in need.
- With the exception of Carolina Ruggerfest during the 15s season, tournament fees will be split amongst players attending tournament (average $15-$20/player per tournament).
Players will need black rugby shorts, soccer/rugby cleats, black tall socks, a mouth guard and a Red Rattlesnakes Team warm-up shirt. Discount gear and warm-up shirt can purchased at our online store on worldrugbyshop.com. Click on “Youth Rattlesnakes Tackle.” If viewing on a mobile device, first click “Contracts”, then “Youth Rattlesnakes Tackle.”
SPRING 2021 GAME SCHEDULE:
Local Jamborees are usually held on Sunday afternoons. However, game schedule is TBD at this time.