Founded in 2006, the Raleigh Rattlesnakes are the oldest high school boys program in the triangle area, and benefit from working directly with coaches that have played high caliber rugby at a national level for our men’s team, the Raleigh Vipers. The team will have the unique opportunity to work directly with some of the current Vipers at instructional camps and various other events.
Whether just getting started or looking for an opportunity to showcase skills and play in college, players of all skill levels are welcome to join us at any point during the season. As one of the premiere rugby clubs in the triangle, Raleigh Rugby boasts its own, gorgeous, Bermuda grass facilities, and a family of other teams to help groom you into the best rugby player you can be. Join the movement and be a part of the fastest growing sport in the U.S.
Why play rugby?
- Opportunities for college team placement
- Opportunities for USA Rugby scouting visibility
- Incidence of injury in rugby is 10% compared to 52% in NCAA college football
- Football teams that implement rugby-style tackling not only have a lower missed tackle percentage, but also less concussions. Check out the Seattle Seahawks.
FREE FALL ’19 YOUTH RUGBY CLINICS
Open to girls & boys, new & returning players, ages 5-18. For more info and registration, click here.
SPRING ’20 INFORMATION
- Mandatory Team Practices on Mondays & Wednesdays starting 12/9/19. We will take a holiday break starting 12/23/19 and pick up again on 1/6/20.
- Practices times are from 6:30-8:30pm. Players are expected to start warming up promptly at 6:30pm.
- Practice Location – Poole Road Rugby Complex
- Mouthguard & cleats are required for practices. We suggest players bring plenty of water.
Player Registration & Dues:
- All returning and new players must register through our website prior to practicing
- Annual dues are $250 and cover your players through July 31st, 2020, as well as include USA Rugby registration and liability. Dues may be paid through our website. If you have trouble paying, please reach out to our youth director, Sunny Myers, to make payment arrangements. Full and partial scholarships are also available to those in need.
- With the exception of Carolina Ruggerfest during the 15s season, tournament fees will be split amongst players attending tournament (average $15-$20/player per tournament).
Players will need black rugby shorts, soccer/rugby cleats, black tall socks, a mouth guard and a Red Rattlesnakes Team warm-up shirt. Discount gear and warm-up shirt can purchased at our online store on worldrugbyshop.com. Click on “HS Rattlesnakes.” If viewing on a mobile device, first click “Contracts”, then “HS Rattlesnakes.”
Game Days – We expect to have a finalized Spring schedule by end of December/early January. Games will be on Saturdays or Sundays, most within “day-of” driving distance and should start the second weekend of March and end mid-May.
Tournaments – We will be attending Carolina Ruggerfest Youth Tournament on March 7-8, 2020 in Matthews, NC so please save the date. Details regarding this tournament will be shared via team communication avenues (Facebook & SportsYou). The High School Boys will also attend another tournament in late Spring, details TBD.
Scrimmages – We will have two friendly local scrimmages in February.